Bloating also known as gas is a state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal. Indigestion and gas can be caused by poor eating habits, emotional tension, food allergies, imbalances in stomach acid or digestive enzymes, and many other causes.
Most of people develop gas and cramping after drinking milk because they lack the intestinal enzyme that is necessary to break down the double sugar in milk called lactose. If lactose is not absorbed in the upper intestinal tract, bacteria ferment it in the colon to release gas.
Raffinose is a sugar found in certain foods, which is well-known for producing gas. Gas-producing foods include beans, cabbage, onions, cauliflower, and broccoli. Other foods that produce gas are certain type of breads, apples, peaches, pears, prunes, corn, oats, potatoes, and dairy products like milk and cheese. A well balanced diet can help to avoid gas.
Menstrual bloating irritated and painful during menstruation then that is exactly what menstrual bloating is all about. It is caused due to gas that gets accumulated in the intestines and during menstruation it becomes very frequent and common.
The scientific reason for its occurrence is that as menstruation is what a women faces every month so due to this the lining of her uterus produces a chemical that is known as Prostaglandins, this leads to the contraction of the walls of the uterine muscles and therefore a tissue is released along with fluid which is the cause of menstruation. When the chemical called Prostaglandins is produced in huge amount then that leads to excessive contraction of the muscles and therefore causes bloating.
The main reason of bloating during menstrual is due to the retention of the body fluid in our body which is again caused by the changing nature of the hormones present in our body. Many women gain weight during menstruation or it is also seen that some part of the body are swollen now this is due to the retention of water in the body; the weight gain is actually the weight of water. Exercise is a good solution to help reducing menstruation cramps.
Prevention and Treatments of Bloating, Gas
- Avoid having caffeine products, such as tea or coffee is bad for you. Even those who love to eat chocolate, you need to reduce their consumption. The large amounts of caffeine would lead to excessive bloating in the intestine which would result in pain in the lower abdomen during menstruation. Coffee contains some amount of oils which also can cause cramps and cause gas getting accumulated in the lower abdomen.
- Carbonated water encourages belching to relieve the gas.
- Betaine hydrochloric acid will help digest excess food that your digestive system can’t handle on its own and help relieve gas, bloating, and an upset stomach. Take 1-2 pills with meal will help.
- A high fiber diet such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains or supplements (Metamucil products), are also help for bloating and gas.
- Eating the probiotic yogurts. Probiotics are live microorganisms - bacteria in most cases - that are similar to beneficial microorganisms in your stomach. They are also referred to as “friendly bacteria” or “good bacteria”. Probiotic bacterial cultures assist your body’s naturally occurring gut flora to reestablish themselves.
- Taking charcoal tablets.
- Drinking peppermint tea which will almost certainly soothe the discomfort.
- Avoid consumption access of Sorbitol Malitol, it is a sugar substitute that will cause stomach cramps, gas and diarrhea.
- Stop eating Legumes cause bloating because of the complex structure of starch and protein.